Monday, October 22, 2012

Zuul vs. Pumpkin


So, it is that time of year again when Americans put pumpkin in everything (I have in on good authority from a Brit that this is an overboard American custom), and of course, rip the guts out of a pumpkin or two to decorate our porches and yards. 

in 2010, we continued the Pumpkin Carving Party tradition passed on to use by a good friend of ours when we lived in East Lansing.  Being new at my law school and wanting to make a good impression, I went WAY overboard.  Two years later we still have full bottles of liqueur.  People had fun though, so success. 



In 2011 I was officially 2 months pregnant with Zuul, and we had not told a anyone.  I was also very sick, so no only did we not have a party that year, we did not even carve pumpkins which is sad for me because Halloween is my favorite holiday.

So this year we decided to keep it small.  Being unemployed and having a baby we are pretty poor so I couldn't really throw some huge shindig again.  So we kept Zuul's first Pumpkin Carving Party low key.  But, before we could carve a pumpkin, we had to go get one and take all the obligatory first pumpkin pictures.


Look what I found in the pumpkin patch!!

Zuul is clearly done with our shenanigans.

Zuul can't really sit up yet so she is falling over in this picture
So, pumpkins picked out we had a few close friends over to eat pumpkin chili, pumpkin chip cookies and pumpkin beer. 


Since Jai wouldn't let Zuul use a knife yet, somehow I was the one who had to gut and carve two pumpkins, but I made Zuul help with the guts a little.


Jai showed off his parenting skills for all our friends.  Zuul didn't mind.


So, after hours of carving: the fruits of our labors:


Me, Zuul and Jai's pumpkins

Pumpkins lined up for official judging.

Jana and Zuuls pumpkins
 And the winner was Michelle with her princess Jasmine pumpkin which was awesome.  I took Zuul's pumpkin out of the running because we all agreed it was no contest.  She would have won.  I mean, Pac man is pretty complex for a 4 month old.

I really wanted to strip Zuul and put her in the giant bucket of pumpkin guts for an awesome photo but Jai vetoed me because he is no fun.  All and all I would say it was a success.  I can't wait for Halloween so we can take Zuul trick or treating.

4 comments:

  1. If I were there, there would have been a Decepticon pumpkin to kick that frakking Autobot pumpkin's ass.

    Also, I really miss the pumpkin carving parties. =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We miss having you. Maybe if we plan ahead far enough you can come next year or we can bring the party to you.

      Delete
    2. Hey! No mention of the long distance friend who actually showed up for the 2010 pumpkin carving party? Fine. Take credit for my super awesome vampire bite cupcakes (ok, so they were your idea...but who executed that idea I ask you? Who?) and my stellar cup stacking skills. See if I care! Oh, and I won't even mention the pumpkin chip cookie recipe stealing. I mean, I slaved over a hot search engine for minutes to find that recipe. And then you just go and get married and take the recipe box with you. I see how you are.

      P.S. I miss you! :)

      Delete
    3. We miss you too. Zuul can't wait to meet you. You should all just plan to come to our awesome party next year so it will be the most awesome party ever!! And sometimes I do tell other people I stole the pumpkin chip cookie recipe from you! But I always take credit for the banana bread wha ha ha !!

      Delete